Priority of Service Definitions
Covered Person – Veteran or Eligible Spouse
Veteran - A person who:
- Served at least one (1) day in the active military, naval, or air service, and was discharged or released therefrom with other than a dishonorable discharge (active service includes full-time Federal service (typically referred to as Title 10) in the National Guard or a Reserve component).
Eligible Spouse - The spouse of any of the following:
- Any veteran who died of a service-connected disability, or
- Any member of the Armed Forces serving on active duty who, at the time of application for the priority, is listed in one or more of the following categories and has been so listed for a total of more than 90 days: (i) Missing in action; (ii) Captured in line of duty by a hostile force; or (iii) Forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power, or
- Any veteran who has a total disability resulting from a service-connected disability, as evaluated by the Department of Veterans Affairs, or
- Any veteran who died while a disability, as indicated in previous bullet of this section, was in existence.
Proof of Status
A DD Form 214 is the most recognized document, however, if this document is not readily accessible, please advise the Job Service staff of your situation.
Services offered under Priority of Service
With respect to any qualified job training program, a covered person shall be
given priority over a non-covered person for the receipt of employment,
training, and placement services provided under that program, notwithstanding
any other provision of the law.
Priority, in the context of providing priority of service to covered persons in qualified job training programs, means the right to take precedence over non-covered persons in obtaining services.
Depending on the type of service or resource being provided, taking precedence may mean:
- The covered person receives access to the service or resource earlier in time
than the non-covered person, or
- If the service or resource is limited, the covered person receives access to the service or resource instead of or before the non-covered person.
Please see Job Service staff for applicable eligibility requirements for
specific training programs and please identify yourself as a Veteran or Eligible Spouse to our staff.